Thursday, November 11, 2010

Today, I remember...

As the clock ticks towards midnight, thereby bringing the world another November 11th, I find myself struck to the core by a phrase uttered by a character in a TV show I watched this evening that so perfectly exemplifies the spirit of those who we will honour tomorrow.  In this particular episode of "House," a teenage boy bound to a wheelchair, thanks to congenital muscular dystrophy, offers half of his lung to his sister.  This girl had gone to superhuman lengths to showcase her love and admiration for her disabled sibling yet, thanks to the hands of fate (and the writer's of the show), found herself inexplicably hurtling towards death herself.  Of course, the giant obstacle is, by donating half of his lung, he will cut the rest of his already shortened life in half.  The parents, given the impossible choice of deciding what to do, are aided by the sister's attempt to kill herself to make sure her brother can't do anything.  Once the brother becomes aware of what he needs to do, he wheels to her bedside, clasps her hand and says to her:

"You do so many great things... I just watch.  I get to watch, and coach, and cheer... but that's not me out there.  It never will be.  If you take this piece of me, carry it with you, then I really can share in everything you do.  This is the great thing I can do with my life.  Don't make me live without you."

Of course, the tears prompted by the scene were carefully targeted by those creating the show but it certainly affected me nonetheless.  And yet, while being completely engrossed in the scene, that one line jumped out at me instantly.  This is the great thing I can do with my life.  I don't believe it's a coincidence that I happened to watch this episode on the eve of a day that causes me to annually take such a poignant step back and reflect upon what I hold dear and what I imagine those the day honours must have felt. 

My grandfather is a 91 year old WWII veteran.  The final decline of life has most certainly started for him as he is but a shadow of the boisterous, athletic, jovial creature I have always known.  My grandfather never actually saw official "action" as a soldier but he was overseas and participated in all the duties a soldier in waiting must perform.  Amongst all the tennis trophies, the social recognitions, and the business successes (of which there weren't THAT many, making the actual successes that much more meaningful!) he amassed over his lifetime, it is his few years of service that most profoundly resonates with him.  He was a part of an event that forever altered the landscape of our world.  He was proud to have been a part of it and, as his memories continue to fade and his body to deteriorate, it is this pride that will live on.  For it lives on in me.  It is this realization that made me connect so strongly with that one line from the brother in the TV episode.  My grandfather has passed along this pride I now carry because he truly believes he did a great thing with his life. 

We have been given the greatest gift of all, the gift of life.  We have been given the opportunity to make an impact on the world we all share.   Our lives are but a giant, blank canvas simply waiting to be bedaubed by our experiences, waiting to preserve what great things we have done with our lives.  Your canvas may tell the world how you gave your sister a piece of your lung at the cost of half of your remaining time on the planet.  It may tell the world how you were a part of possibly the single most important event of our species' history.  It may tell the world how you fell climbing up a staircase when the twin towers collapsed or were lost to the tsunami.  It may tell of the millions of people influenced by you or the millions you donated.  It may tell of the gift you gave the world through some creative medium or the enjoyment you gave by showcasing your gifts.  It may simply tell of your perpetual dedication to those closest to you. 

Open yourself to the opportunities available to you to do great things with your life.  Respect life.  Help a life.  Save a life.  Better a life.  Listen to life.  Give in to life.  GIVE life.  Live life.  But, most of all, LOVE LIFE.

It is for the love of life that we remember.  However, we must remember not only the men and women who served in the great wars, or those who fought in any military conflict, or the vast number of people affected by war but also those who die in the fight against injustice, hatred, and oppression.  Those who have gone before us trying to paint their canvasses with designs of a better world deserve every honour we can ever bestow upon them.  By remembering them tomorrow, we will all be doing one of many great things with our lives.

Buddy (what we affectionately call my grandfather), I love you very much and am fiercely proud of what you've given me.  There will never be enough opportunities to thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment